Intensive Interaction for People with PMLD
This course will enable you to develop practical techniques to communicate and connect with people who have Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities (PMLD).
Duration: One day 10.00am - 3.30pm
- The Fundamentals of Communication - Why is Intensive Interaction so important?
- How to do Intensive Interaction
- Use of touch and issues of developmental pertinence
- Video examples showing children and adults with PMLD develop awareness of others and themselves, initiate interactions, engage in turn-taking, develop use of vocalisations and facial expressions (and much more!)
- Recognising outcomes and how to record keep
- How to get started
A DVD and comprehensive handout is included
Who should go:
This course is for anyone who is involved in the care, support or education of children or adults with PMLD
- Support staff
- Parent and family carers
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Teachers and Teaching Assistants
- Service Managers
- Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists
- Psychologists and Assistant Psychologists
- Learning Disability Nurses
The course will be delivered by Amandine Mourière MA and Dr Julie Calveley (RNLD) who are Associates of the Intensive Interaction Institute
This course can also be delivered in service.
The use of Intensive Interaction is endorsed by the Department of Health (Mansell 2010, Raising Our Sights; DoH 2009, Valuing People Now)